Thursday 29 May 2014

I need a goal

Back in the days I was just being busy. Having a goal was not my top priority, because goals were naturally present. Graduate, find a place to live, find a great wife, work for a living, work out to stay healthy....

But that changed for me. After fulfilling my basic needs, I needed something more. And sometimes it is not easy to find what that can be. It is like being so busy doing the things of the day, that you feel like accomplishing nothing at all.

Then I realized, ... I need a goal! Apart from the fact that reaching a goal can boost your self confidence, a goal also can give your life a purpose. And if I start something, I really go for it. I studied  user centered design, got married, played squash, became a daddy, I became a marathon runner, play the guitar a little... And I can juggle with 3 balls now ;-).



One of  my latest goals was asking Don to be my mentor. Now my goal is to boost my leadership skills and he helps me with this. This blog is one of the many ways to reach this goal.

Covey wrote, "begin with the end in mind". If you know what is important to you, you can plan your actions toward it. Having a goal is like an inner compass that guides you in every decision that you make.If you don't know where to start yet, try to answer this question (from the book the 7 habits)
"How do you wish to be remembered on your funeral?"
Try to think about it and right down that speech. Then you can start planning your actions so this becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

No comments:

Post a Comment